Private Label applications allow manufacturers the option to re-list qualified products under alternate organizations without having to submit duplicate testing information.
- You may only submit a Private Label Application if the original equipment manufacturer’s (OEM) product is already DLC qualified.
- If you are using OEM test reports to submit an application for a product or family that has not been previously qualified on the QPL, please complete the Test Report Authorization form and submit either a Single Product Application or a Family Grouping Application.
- Organizations submitting information for multiple brands should provide the private label documentation described below and the applicable fees with the original Single Product or Family Grouping Application.
- If you wish to update the performance of products previously qualified through a Private Label application, please select the Private Label Application type to create an application in the Application Portal. This will ensure that necessary product information from the original application is retained during the DLC review. Selecting any other application type when creating the application will cause delays in review.
Please note: The principle behind Private Label applications is that products are identical to the originally qualified versions. Therefore, the DLC lists private labeled versions of products with exactly the same performance information as their OEM versions. The reasoning behind this is that identical products should reasonably be expected to have identical performance ratings, even if brand, manufacturer, model number, date qualified, and similar descriptive fields are necessarily different.
Private Label Application Instructions
- Determine that the products you intend to private label have already been qualified on the QPL by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
If you are submitting an application to list products under multiple brand names but the products have not yet been qualified on the QPL, you must submit either a Single Product Application or a Family Grouping Application and include the Private Label Application form and Private Label Agreement form.
If you are submitting an application to private label a product that has already been DLC qualified by the manufacturer, continue with these instructions.
Note: Private labels must include at least one OEM parent model per unique OEM family ID to be eligible. Please ensure the OEM products downloaded from the DLC QPL include at least one parent model.
- Create a Manufacturer Account.
If you have not done so already, create a manufacturer log-in. The DLC recommends that the application be completed by a person with technical knowledge of lighting products and testing, such as a product engineer. Experience has shown that applications submitted by non-technical staff may lack important details which can delay overall processing.
- Complete the Private Label Application Form.
Download the Private Label Application Form (.xlsx) at the bottom of this page. The OEM’s qualified products must be downloaded directly from the DLC QPL and the model numbers listed exactly as they appear on the QPL.
- Complete the Private Label Agreement Form.
Download the Private Label Agreement Form at the bottom of this page. This statement must be filled out in its entirety and signed by representatives of all organizations involved. If one organization is listing products under different brand names, the signature of a representative of the parent organization is sufficient.
An organization that is a signatory to the private label statement may choose to withdraw its consent at any time by submitting a written request that the private label listing be terminated. Any such request must be signed by an authorized representative of the organization. Upon receipt of such request, the DLC will delist the private labeled model numbers from the QPL.
- Start a new application in your Manufacturer Account.
Once logged in, click the Applications tab on your Dashboard. Click the green Create Application button. This will lead you to the Create New Application window. Enter the required Application Details and Application Contact information. Be sure to select the SSL Private Label application type. After creating the application, you will be redirected to the Application Home.
- Upload ALL required application materials. Learn more about application supporting documentation here.
To upload supporting documentation, click the Documents section in the left-hand navigation menu of Application Home. Within the Documents section, each question requires a specific document to be uploaded. Questions are determined by the selected application type. Files must be individually uploaded in order to save your progress. All “Required Documentation” must be uploaded before you can submit the application. “Optional Documents” are necessary for evaluating products against the Premium classification requirements and certain Primary Use designations. The system will allow you to replace and delete files as necessary before submitting your application.
- Completed Private Label Application Form (.xlsx)
- Completed Private Label Agreement Form
- A product specification sheet for any new model numbers being submitted
- OEM product specification sheet for the model numbers being private labeled
- Proof of safety certification under the private labeler’s organization name and model number(s) from an appropriate safety certification body relevant in the US or Canada
- Proof of safety certification under the OEM’s organization name and model number(s) from an appropriate safety certification body relevant in the US or Canada
- Multiple Listing Correlation Sheet issued by the approved safety organization which cross references the OEM model numbers with private label model numbers
- Installation instructions must be provided for private labels of Linear Replacement Lamps, Retrofit Kits and Screw-Base Replacements for HID Lamps
- Digitally sign the Application Agreement and submit the application.
Application reviews will not begin until the application is submitted. After uploading documentation, you must click the green Submit Application button in the top right-hand corner of the Documents section. This button will present you with a digital Application Agreement that includes the DLC Self-Certification Statement, Logo Guidelines Compliance Statement, Surveillance Testing Compliance Statement, and Safety Certification Compliance Statement. Full text of the agreement is available here. Sign the agreement to submit your application.
For those applicants who do not have the appropriate level of authority to sign the agreement, it is recommended that the signing authority create a DLC account under your company’s organization and digitally sign off once the application is complete.