FAQ About NSF LED lighting
What is NSF?
NSF Standards for National Sanitation Foundation. NSF have been dedicated to protecting and improving global human health since 1944. As a global, independent organization, our standards team facilitates development of public health standards, and our service teams test, audit and certify products and services. The NSF mark assures consumers, retailers and regulators that certified products have been rigorously tested to comply with all standard requirements. Separately, we offer customized training and education, risk management and consulting solutions.
What is NSF certificated LED lighting?
NSF certificated lighting means the lighting are reviewed and tested by NSF, that means the lighting meets the NSF luminaire requirements. Test or certify luminaires intended for controlled environments and meet the highest industry standards for health and safety.
What is NSF P442?
Controlled Environment Light Fixtures is a single certification that demonstrates your luminaires are constructed for use in controlled environments, including pharmaceutical processing, surgical suites, cleanroom manufacturing, food processing and horticulture.
This protocol combines various test elements into one certification, including:
- Testing required by the standard NSF/ANSI 2: Food Equipment to establish minimum sanitation requirements for materials, design and construction
- Testing to demonstrate that the light fixture provides a high level of protection against dust and water
- Unique pressure testing developed especially for NSF P442
Demonstrate to customers and consulting engineers that your luminaires meet the highest level of quality in the industry by certifying them to NSF P442.
What is the benefits of the NSF lighting?
The NSF lighting are ideal for food processing factories, pharmaceutical factory, cosmetics, plant, dust-free plant, winery, supermarket etc. NSF Certified LED Lighting are dust tight luminares,designed for easy cleaning, can withstand close-range high pressure cleaning and resistant to harsh cleaning solvents.
What’s the NSF lighting types?
Getting lighting NSF certified is rigorous. Products are evaluated and tested annually so they continuously meet strict standards and are safe insofar as their materials, fabrication, design, and performance are concerned. These NSF ratings are probably the most relevant for your food processing facility lighting.
The NSF labels are as follows, the first two of which are relevant for lighting:
- Non-Food Zone
- These fixtures are located outside of areas with direct food contact, as the name implies, and also outside of areas that are routinely cleaned, known as washdown areas. You might see this rating in kitchens or food storage areas.
- Splash Zone
- Again, these fixtures are not subjected to direct food contact, but they are in an area typically washed down, splashed with water or other liquids, or otherwise soiled. So any space that is hosed down or sanitized would need splash zone lighting.
- Food Zone
- This is the most rigorous label. It’s reserved for products both in direct contact with food and with liquids. It’s almost never actually used for food lighting, so we’re really concerned with the first two above, as mentioned.